Dear Valued Customer,
We are contacting you today to notify you of the TS-7970 Board Revision Change from Rev B to Rev D. With your assistance through our engineering sampling program we have identified a number of small bugs that needed to be corrected, as well as some feature updates we would like to make to allow this product to be a better fit in your applications. The new TS-7970 Rev D will start shipping soon, and will include updated software for all of the programable devices on the board, including a new U-Boot, Linux, FPGA, and System Monitor MCU (Silicon Labs device). Most of these changes will come as welcome and anticipated improvements, but we are here to assist with any transition requirements you may have as we transition each of the TS-7970 models from Rev B to Rev D. The Rev D board will represent the final feature set for the TS-7970 product family, but there may be one more board spin prior to full production to clean up minor layout issues. Please see below for all of the details on the change.
The affected products are: TS-7970
The changes incorporated in the TS-7970 Rev D release include the following:
- Change shipping software images to the following revisions to support layout improvements (U-Boot & Linux changes were also made to support the TS-TPC-7990 sister product.):
FPGA to Rev 7 (http://wiki.embeddedarm.com/wiki/TS-7970#FPGA_Changelog)
U-Boot to Jan-17-2017
Linux to debian-armhf-jessie-20170123.tar.bz2
System Monitor MCU (Silicon Labs) to Rev 2
- Changed the default shipping Linux from Yacto to Debian due to frequent customer requests.
- Upgraded the Ethernet PHY to a device from Marvell to corrected a bug with the ethernet where certain link partners failed to link/communicate properly. U-Boot and Kernel changes are required to support the PHY.
- Added support in U-Boot to allow the Ethernet PHY to detect when a gigabit link fails due to incompatible cables, and automatically down shift to 100M or 10M links.
- Added support for a 2-lane MIPI Camera (Leopard Imaging LI-OV5640-MIPI-AF). A future kernel change will be required to support the camera. The camera interface is still under development and is not ready as of this date for use.
- Changed the RTC Battery holder to allow for more board space for other feature changes.
- Correct a bug with the USB Device Port Power.
- Improved the sleep mode power consumption down to approximately 25mW. System Monitor MCU software changes are required for this improvement.
- Changed the file system to an ext3 format and added U-Boot checks to prevent ext4 64 bit modes from being used on the product. U-Boot does not support the 64bit addressing added as the default behavior in recent revisions of mkfs.ext4.
- Updated factory programing/testing interfaces to improve manufacturing processes.
We will transition to shipping the TS-7970 Revision D as inventory is run down and new inventory is built.
Technologic Systems appreciates your business. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us by either replying to this email or filling out the contact us form at http://pcs.embeddedarm.com/notices/ts-7970-board-revision-change-from-rev-b-to-rev-d.
16525 East Laser Drive
Fountain Hills, AZ 85268
Phone: (480) 837-5200
Fax: (480) 837-5300